How many applications are installed on your Mobile? Do you realise? Every day, there is a new feature—every moment, businesses’ customer base grows—countless expectations from an endless stream of users. Every one of these things reflects the industry’s rapid evolution.
Google Play and the Apple App Store together have 6.63 million apps. So how do you ensure that your app stands out from the crowd? In actuality, you can only if you keep up with the most recent trends in mobile app development and understand how to use them to produce robust, feature-rich apps. The mobile app development industry is rapidly evolving. Therefore, you must become familiar with changing mobile app development trends to thrive in this digital Darwin theory era. To make your mobile app successful, the first step is to keep up with upcoming trends in mobile app development. So let’s go over some of the most recent trends in depth.
What are the Top Mobile App Development Trends in 2023?
- The Rise of 5G
5G technology has been around for quite some time. However, it has become a buzzword this year. Technology companies have begun fully integrating 5G, and we see 5G-enabled devices on the market. By next year, it is expected that 660 million smartphones will have 5G connectivity, accounting for approximately 47.5% of all devices.
Look at how 5G connections are expected to grow worldwide in the coming years.
What does 5G mean for app development?
How we develop and use apps will change as a result of 5G. Significant gains will be made in efficiency and speed. Here are a few highlights:
- Over 4G, 5G will be up to 100 times faster.
- Latency will be gradually reduced from 50 milliseconds (4G) to 1 millisecond.
- Video streaming apps will significantly advance with higher resolution, lower latency, and faster performance.
- 5G will expand the possibilities for AR and VR by making integrating these technologies into apps easier.
- Data transfer between devices and smartphones will be faster and smoother.
- With 5G, developers will be able to create new features without negatively impacting the performance of mobile apps.
- Because of the faster processing of biometric data for identification, mobile payments will be quicker and more secure.
- Apps will be faster, smoother, and more efficient thanks to 5G technology. It will also create opportunities for innovation. All your exciting ideas for your app will no longer be just that. You can make them a reality with 5G. We are excited to see what the technology brings to the table.
- Applications for Foldable Devices
Even though the market share for foldable smartphones is still in its infancy, things will change in the following years. So, when planning your mobile app development strategy, remember foldable devices. Ensure that your apps function flawlessly on foldable devices, a problematic mobile app development trend for 2023.
Users may benefit from unfolding the device to provide a larger screen:
- A larger screen provides more room for a rich and immersive experience.
- A user can use multi-windows to perform multiple tasks at once.
Increasing the screen size of video streaming and gaming apps, or using the additional space to provide more information and controls, will help these applications make the most of foldable devices. Consequently, one of the biggest trends in mobile app development in 2023 will be to develop apps with the screen in mind.
- Entertainment and gaming on mobile devices
Apps for entertainment and gaming have become an integral part of daily life. Some people find it impossible to imagine living even one day without them.
We can estimate the popularity of mobile entertainment apps based on Netflix’s 74% active subscriber base in the United States and Canada. Furthermore, with over 159.1 million mobile phone gamers, mobile devices are the most popular among gamers, accounting for more than 89% of US digital gamers.
Why do mobile entertainment and gaming apps have such a following?
- They’ve made it simple to find entertainment. People no longer need to buy expensive gadgets or even expensive laptops. Instead, they can enjoy them on their mobile devices.
- Users are no longer restricted to a single location to watch a movie or play a game. Instead, they can amuse themselves while travelling.
- AR, VR, and AI advancements have made games and entertainment apps more immersive.
- Mobile entertainment and gaming apps offer a great way to unwind. People spend time on games and entertainment apps to distract themselves, especially during the pandemic.
- Fantastic Apps
Mobile app development companies have taken the “one app, one purpose” approach for years. However, this is shifting. Companies are moving away from single-purpose apps and toward one-stop solutions that serve multiple functions.
These applications are called Super Apps and are wildly popular in Asia. However, the trend is catching up in the west as well. Natural AI, created by California-based company Brain Technologies Inc., offers an intriguing example in the US market. It aims to transform how people use their phones by enabling them to accomplish multiple tasks with just one app.
You may have also noticed that Facebook is more than just a social media platform. For example, marketplaces for buying and selling goods are now also available. Similarly, besides online shopping, you can now use Amazon to pay bills and make payments.
As people prefer to try out various solutions before choosing one, the popularity of super apps is lower in the western world. Still, in the end, everyone seeks convenience. As a result, awesome apps are a mobile app development trend to watch out for in 2023.
- Blockchain technology
We first heard about Blockchain during the cryptocurrency boom. But today’s technology has advanced significantly and is helpful in a variety of contexts. It is expanding rapidly and is expected to generate $20 billion in revenue by 2024. Blockchain is also becoming increasingly important in mobile app development.
Decentralized apps are becoming increasingly popular. Over 70 million blockchain wallets are in use, with mobile wallets being the most popular. These figures also demonstrate how the number of blockchain wallet users is rapidly increasing.
In addition, we observe cryptocurrency converters that use Blockchain to monitor loyalty programmes, secure digital identities, and track digital assets.
With the introduction of intelligent contracts, anti-piracy software, election-moderation tools, and Blockchain as a Service (BaaS) platforms, the trend is expected to become more widely adopted by 2023 and beyond. In addition, Blockchain can be used to prevent fraud, particularly in mobile commerce and mobile payment apps.